[Files] A very useful vertical mute

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 9 14:20:06 MDT 2006

The mute discussion caused me to remember an idea I had some months
ago while driving from a miserable spinet repair and tuning.  This
afternoon I overcame my inertia and made some samples, and they work
great.

The rubber grommets for spinet key end forks have a groove around the
perimeter, and are just the right size to fit between adjacent unison
groups at the V-bar of a vertical piano.

Add a wire handle, and you have a miracle mute!

Snap it in at the V-bar, press the damper pedal and slide it down
below the damper tops, and flip the handle forward onto the hammer
rest rail.  You have a mute that is solidly attached to the strings,
and its handle is completely out of the way of the hammers, even on
the tightest spinet treble.

I hope the attached photos get through the filter.

Ed Sutton