String Bearing Point Lubrication

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 8 12:18:18 MDT 2006

Avery asked: "Wasn't it Wurlitzer that used mineral oil mixed with "what" as a
lubricant??? The old pre-Teflon days. :-)"

NOPE! Wurlitzer used Mineral spirits and Silicone!
While I'm at it, Mineral Oil USED to be a substance for lubing action centers. A mix of 10:1 was used, (Thinned with the highest grade of Mineral Spirits or Carbontetrachloride!) I used to use it and QUIT! The darned stuff gets gummy with age. The only thing I use Mineral oil for is for sharpening, mixed 50%-50% with mineral spirits. Beats the hell out of all of those fancy-schmancy sharpening oils, that sell for exhorbitant prices.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I