Roland 5000 Electric piano? Anyone?

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 8 01:30:30 MDT 2006

To the best of my recollection, Roland has never produced an electric
piano with either strings or tines. They have always been electronic,
but not always digital - in the earlier days, digital did not yet exist,
so they were analog. This was also true for Yamaha, and others.

One could be confused by the fact that Roland acquired Rhodes sometime
in the 80s, and produced some electronic pianos under that name, but the
electronics were wholly Roland, even though some of the sounds were
imitative of the original Rhodes (tine) electric piano. They were quite
good, as I remember, but the sounds were not mechanically generated at all.

-Mark Schecter