Schaff Piano price list

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Fri Apr 7 18:10:30 MDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 9:50 PM, John Ross wrote:
> I asked that question, a few days back. I got no answer, so I
> figured it was just me. :-(

You deserve a better answer. It has to do with the screen resolution
an individual has chosen, and what font size is comfortably readable
on the screen. I have a 17" 1280x1024 LCD monitor, and with my
resolution set at the nominal size, a lower case letter at 10pt is
~2mm higher (7 pixels). Reset my resolution for 640x480, and the
presentation of that same letter has doubled in size. So if a person
who has their own reasons for setting monitor resolution at 640x480
(or something less than their monitor's nominal size), their 10pt
character may be perfectly readable to them, being roughly the same
size and readability as someone else's 12 pt at nominal resolution.
But their emails sent out at 10pt may seem like the fine print at the
end of a legal contract, when viewed by someone with a monitor at
nominal resolution.

Personally, I like 1280x1024, still grieving as I am for a 21" CRT
which bit the dust in Fall of '04. That's a big enough desktop for me
to spread all my papers around on, and still make out 10pt type
easily. The people who set their resolution at lower than nominal are
easy to spot.

Unless of course, there's a 'bot somewhere out on the net which
knocks the point size of every passing email down by two points.

Mr. Bill