7-foot Bechstein

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Apr 7 08:58:30 MDT 2006

Hello all.

Curious matter, those typical Bechstein plate cracks.  Those happen mainly on model A (183 cm) and B and V (both 200 cm); never seen this on other models.
The strange is : this doesn't affect at all the integrity of the structure of the piano.
While I've seen plenty of Bechstein pianos with cracked plate, I've never seen a plate falling apart yet.
I believe those cracks were a result of the internal tensions of cast iron cooling down, right out of the factory.
Those cracks can be there for one hundred years, yet no problem.
If those cracks were due to exessive string tension, when the crack appears, the plate would be even weaker, and the crack would very rapidly develop into a plate failure.  Never seen this.
For me, the only problem with those cracks is that no customer aware of it would buy a piano with such a crack in the plate.  No matter how long you explain about.

Get yourself a horizontal screw driver.  Enjoy german engeneering.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.