Chickering Upright Dating

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 6 21:54:51 MDT 2006

I'm doing a few repairs to a very old Chickering upright. I looked all over this piano and could not find a serial number. Truly an amazing piano - it is in extremely good shape for its age (my best guess is about 1885) - the wear/deterioration is that typical of a 40-50 year old piano well cared for in a private home.

I am looking for input to date this thing. It is about 50 inches tall, has an exquisite burled walnut case, has the fretted (is that the right word - cross hatch pattern of wood with lots of openings) top panel with the silk behind, 85-note, open pinblock - 3/4, full perimeter plate, two pedal. I'm thinking these characteristics suggest a manufacturing date between 1880 and 1890 (especially the true 3/4 plate, the antique case, and the 85-note scale).

Anyone have an opinion on the age of this piano?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell