Preemptive CA in bridges?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Apr 6 12:44:18 MDT 2006

> During rebuilding, where your choice is more wide open, why to you
> choose epoxy over CA?

Re notching and re pinning existing caps, I've use CA after
the new pins were in, and been quite happy with it. Driving
pins in a new epoxy laminated maple veneer cap, I use epoxy
for two reasons. First, it's slippery and makes it easier to
drive the pins. Driving pins into this type of cap is
difficult without something lubricious added. Second, I'm
inherently terrified of the thought of standing over CA soaked
ANYTHING and hitting it repeatedly with a hammer.

>> I'm not sure how much effect CA will have on a fully assembled newer
>> piano in excellent condition - remember CA has little shear strength -
>> but I think the general idea is a good one.

Who cares about it's shear strength? It's in compression in a
wood matrix in this application, and would almost certainly
make a positive difference in long term deterioration of the
cap. I think it's a good idea too.

Ron N