Upright Treble Hammer Weight

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 5 20:20:29 MDT 2006

Dale Erwin wrote:

In most cases why would the weight in a large old upright be that much different from a low medium hammer weight for a similar sized grands.

I agree - I should think the old upright and similar sized grand would have similar hammer weights.

I also taper the treble as Joe suggested to get the weight down to something in the 5 ish range

I guess I forgot to state that - the 6.9 C88 SW was after tapering. If I taper the sides any more, there won't be enough moulding for a hole for the shank!

but the strike weight for note A 0 sound too heavy JMO. I'd be shooting for a hammer weight of about nine grams max.

My A0 at 10.8g is low medium SW on the Stanwood curves - 9g would be way into the lightest area of curves.

Next time I get out to the shop I will weigh a bunch of hammers as David Stanwood suggested.

Examining the new hammers a bit closer, I see that the mouldings are the same dimensions on A0 and C88 - the bass hammer has a shorter moulding of course, but the other dimensions are the same. I'm going to inquire with Ray over at Ronsen and see if they taper the dimensions of their hammer cores.

Terry Farrell