Hammer Strike Angle

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 4 04:12:12 MDT 2006

Mr. Bill wrote:
"...are you sure that they're actually over-striking."

Absolutley. I didn't measure, but would estimate at least five degrees overstrike - way more than that potentially caused by hammer wear. I've got two nearly identical M&H uprights from around 1912 with this setup. I made a nice little wooden square that I can fit right in against the strings and see quite clearly how square the hammers are to the string plane.

Terry Farrell