laminated ribs

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Apr 3 20:37:33 MDT 2006

> The problem, I believe, is that "strain" is not an engineering term that
I'm
> familiar with and its specific meaning in the description below is vague.
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos at comcast.net

Stress = unit force, the amount of force, or, load acting on a unit of area

Stress = P/A

P = load; A = area.  Usually in pounds per square inch (psi).

Strain = unit deformation, deformation per unit of original length.

Strain is measure at a particular load, and expressed in Inches per Inch,
without canceling the units.

For example, we take a rib of original length 39 inches.  When subjected to
a load of 150psi stress the rib then is measured to be 38.99 inches.  The
strain would be:

.01 inches/39 inches = 0.0003 in./in.

I honestly hope that might help things, not just add to the esoterics of
this one.

Regards,
William R. Monroe