Soundboard thoughts / questions

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sun Apr 2 13:27:13 MDT 2006

Hi Ric.

I am now working on a 1853 Pleyel which ressembles what you say, apart from
the laminated board.
The soundboard grain runs roughly perpendicular to the bridge.
The bridge is in one piece, with a huge cantilever in the bass.
There are 8 ribs running roughly 30° to the grain of the board, thinner in
bass side and in trebble side, thicker in medium scale.
Interesting, there is one cutoff bar in the usual position and fixed to the
rim, and one more rib parallel to that cutoff bar, not fixed to the rim, and
forming an X shape with the other ribs, positionned half way from the cutoff
bar to the foot of the cantilever of the bridge.
Floating bass.
The belly is arched so to form a crown.
The scaling is low tensionned.  Overall tension not above 11.000 kg.
Tapping the board shows that it clearly sounds best where the bridge foot
lies.
The piano sounds great.
One more bizarre thing : it has a pure pythagorean scaling from D3 up to A8,
with octaves length in a true 2 ratio.  Never seen this elsewhere.

Do you want to get the grain perpendicular to bridge desing back ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.