Compartmentizing

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Apr 1 10:23:07 MST 2006

I'll third that motion! CA works pretty good for a fast fix for stripped
screw holes - not as good as plugging and drilling, but it can work quite
well. I usually jam a couple of splinters of hardwood (something a little
soft like mahogany) into the hole with CA and screw the screw in. I put the
accelerator directly onto the screw - I have found that you can easily break
the bond between the CA and the screw - remember, CA doesn't have very good
shear strength.

In this particular case however, a significant part of the problem is likely
related to "All the screws were stripped in the dowel in the rail." Dowels
do not belong in a hammer rail - likely someone "fixed" stripped screw holes
in the past by drilling and plugging with dowels - as Debbie pointed out,
the proper repair is done with maple plugs, not dowels. This hammer rail
either needs a new rail or needs the dowels drilled out and replaced with
plugs.

Terry Farrell

Although, truthfully, the stripped hole should be drilled and plugged, there
are many instances where this is not possible.  Remember, people, I'm a
player tech <G>.  A good way to create *new* thread in a wood hole is to
first spray the screw with your favorite mold release.  Then with a
toothpick as an inserter proceed as follows: cut a small strip of pouch
leather, fold it in half lengthwise over the tip of the toothpick, carefully
coat with med CA (or put a couple teeny drops in the screw hole).  Insert
leather into hole using the toothpick to guide it to the bottom of the hole.
Make sure your strip is long enough to create *tails* at the top, outside of
the hole.  Hold these tails apart and down to the surface as you thread in
the screw.  Let set five minutes or so.  Remove screw, trim away excess
leather tails.  New threaded hole.  BTW, cover your fingers that handle the
tails with masking tape!

Debbie L.