Key top removal

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey@marshall.edu
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:21:28 -0400

Recently there was a good deal of discussion here re the installation of
new key coverings...which glue to use, clamping methods and the like.

My question is what is the best method for getting the old key tops off?

I have a Baldwin D that had new key coverings installed in 2000. My best
guess is that these new coverings where not the first, or maybe even the
second set of replacements this keyboard has gotten.

There are large spaces between all keys, telling me that the keys were
either sanded too much or too many times. It really has a
snaggle-toothed look that is very distracting, not to mention ugly.

When I lay new key tops on top of the existing ones the gaps disappear.
My plan is to remove these key tops, veneer the sides of the keys as
necessary, and then recover the keys.

BUT.... Whoever did the keys the last time did a swell job of gluing
them on. PVC-E was probably used, definitely NOT contact cement.

I can't even get a thin blade under.

SOooooo....what suggestions have you on how I should proceed. Heat,
steam, ??? I'd rather not beat these keys up too badly.

Help

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Sr.
Marshall University