What's Fair? was RE: Lesson learned.....

alan forsyth alan@forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:25:58 +0100

To all mercenaries,

When it comes to pricing it is usually better to ask oneself; "would I =
pay that amount to have a job done?". In most cases the answer would be =
No!
I liaise with "businessmen" in the used piano market and am disgusted in =
the way they actually brag about their ripping off customers. One shop =
even had a sign outside with the name "Haddam and Howe". (Had them and =
how!)

AF
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 7:14 AM
  Subject: What's Fair? was RE: Lesson learned.....

  This is business, so I think it's on topic ...

  All this chatter about fairness, gouging, etc., strikes me as so much =
unnecessary angst.

  If the customer can afford it, is willing to pay it, and is happy with =
the results, then it doesn't matter WHAT you charge. You may price =
yourself out of business; and that's the ultimate punishment for =
greediness or stupidity in an open, competitive free market.=20

  Is a new Steinway M really WORTH $47,400? It absolutely doesn't =
matter: They have a market, the customer is delighted (okay, willing) to =
pay it and can afford it, and the rest of us buy used Wurlitzers. So =
what?=20

  I DO have an obligation to be fair with my customers by stating fees =
up front, getting agreement on the work and the fees, doing quality =
work, backing up my work, etc., but ...

  I have NO obligation, ever, whatsoever, to determine what is a "fair" =
amount to charge!

  I am NOT being unfair if I am the most expensive tech in the market, =
which I will ALWAYS be. I am not being unfair if I refuse to work cheap =
for people who are cheap (especially!) or even people who can only =
afford cheap. In the latter case, I can and DO, often, "fix up" a piano =
at substantially less than normal rates--if I think it will help =
somebody out, i.e., for charitable reasons (MY choice), and if I believe =
I will get a loyal, regular tuning customer out of the deal. I have done =
this often. But ...

  I am NOT being unfair if I charge someone else more! I don't have to =
decide what "fair" rates and prices are or agonize over the issue. The =
MARKET will take care of that, just fine.

  As long as you don't lie, cheat, steal, or otherwise break the =
commandments, it is PERFECTLY ethical, honest, Christian, =
whatevertermyouwant, to make a buck. And the more, the merrier.

  Keep the economy FREE. If prices rise, competition comes in and prices =
fall. If resources are scarce, the price goes up. If we get greedy, we =
lose customers to competitors and keyboards. So what?

  I understand how thinking can take another road ... my wife, for =
example, thinks it's outrageous that nice hotels charge twice as much, =
or more, for rooms on New Year's Eve. Supply and demand. There it is!

  I don't have or make a great deal. But happiness, it seems to me, is =
not found in holding myself back because I'm ahead of a few. Happiness =
comes in NOT envying those who have more while helping those who have =
less (NOT through any government)--and mostly by helping them do better, =
not stealing their dignity and hope by making them long term welfare =
cases.

  Here's a lot of wisdom in a simple formula:

  Income of $25,000 with Expenses & Debts of $24,000 =3D Happiness

  Income of $50,000 with Expenses & Debts of $51,000 =3D Misery

  I believe I might have climbed on a soapbox or pulpit there, sorry. =
G'night.

   Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

    ----- Original Message -----=20