Chrome versus Nickel plated tuning pins

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:09:29 -0400

Golly, where does one start? This information has been a real =
eye-opener, to say the least.

"I'm not a regular on here, and am always surprised when I log on and =
see the lack of information on this forum that is readily available."

First of all, that is what this forum is for - sharing information. =
Sometimes (often) something that is common knowledge to one is unknown =
to another. Sometimes, regular folk, like many on this forum, simply =
forget (let's not get into our college years....) Sharing, as you've =
done, is what it is all about. What is so surprising about all that?

"Renner USA has always had these tuning pins available for their better =
customers."

I would be interested in purchasing these tuning pins. How does one =
become a "better customer" of Renner USA? Does Renner USA provide =
notification of "better customer" status attainment? These are not =
available until "better customer" status attainment?

"...Renner USA provides their regular customers who deal in the high end =
of the business."

How does one become a "regular customer"? Do they not sell to =
non-regulars? Seems to me one would have to be a first-time customer =
before being a regular customer. Do they ask what kind of piano the =
parts are going into? Do you have to tell them the parts are destined =
for a Fazioli when in reality they are for a 1948 Gulbranson spinet?

"The good techs know about them and order them regularly."

Ahh, well that explains why no-one on this list knows about Renner =
tuning pins.

"...something I know Lloyd is not likely to mess with if you=E2=80=99re =
not a regular customer."

So, like, does he just say no?

"Lloyd is not a typical supply house."

If your characterization of Renner USA is correct, and it actually does =
discriminate the way you suggest, and because he is still in business, =
I'd have to agree with you. I've made a number of purchases from Renner =
USA and not observed any of the attitudes you describe.

"He only deals in the high end, and that can be frustrating for some =
technicians."

How would that be frustrating? You either want to buy it or not. Am I =
missing something? There are several supply houses to choose from if one =
does not have what you are looking for.

And I thought Renner USA was just a regular piano supply house that =
specialized in unique, high quality tools and supplies, and good =
service.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Pianotek2000@aol.com=20

  I'm not a regular on here, and am always surprised when I log on and =
see the lack of information on this forum that is readily available.

  =20

  Renner USA has always had these tuning pins available for their better =
customers.  I've been purchasing them for at least 15 years.  The common =
U.S. vernacular is "fly brand"  They don't promote or advertise them.  =
They are expensive to handle, because of the weight and price, and one =
of the many services Renner USA provides their regular customers who =
deal in the high end of the business.  Since Renner sells direct and =
doesn=E2=80=99t go through distributors, the prices are not that much =
above the knock offs like Diamond, and others.  The good techs know =
about them and order them regularly.  Sometimes, they do have to be =
special ordered, and that=E2=80=99s something I know Lloyd is not likely =
to mess with if you=E2=80=99re not a regular customer.  Lloyd is not a =
typical supply house.  He only deals in the high end, and that can be =
frustrating for some technicians.

  =20

  John