spring think bling bling

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:11:25 +0200

Hi Michael and others

The how, what and whys of this are pretty simple and straightforward.
Rounded off screwdriver and a small hammer. Screwdriver is placed on the
string on the bridge and tapped firmly over the entire surface of the
bridge. Then the screwdriver is placed on the string at each bridge pin,
angled towards the pin a bit, and hit very firmly. The stated idea is to
reallllly sink the string in there... "lock it in place" the thinking
goes.  Finally, the screwdriver is place just out on the singing part of
the string at the bridge pin, and hit firmly yet another time to create
a bend or kink around the bridge pin. I know this by way of
demonstration on another instrument. The whys... are all about an ill
conceived idea that all this improves, and is indeed neccesary for good
sound.

All in all... one of the best cases against string seating I've ever run
into.... simply because it would seem to me that absolutely no string
seating is far better then such destructive seating routines.

Tommorrow I will take a similiar series of pics on an 18 year old
Steinway C that probably has not experienced any such treatment.  I
expect the comparison to be interesting.

Cheers
RicB