Ok, This is weird

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:30:41 -0400

At 07:29 AM 9/18/2005, you wrote:
>Greg -
>Here are some additional questions/observations, which I don't think came up:
>
>The H.F. Miller is 70 years old.  Are the parts original?  If not, that
>could be a factor.  What part of the action is actually contacting the
>pinblock, the drop screws (aka "regulating screws" as per Michael Gamble)
>or the hammer flange screws.  If the hammers had been filed and action
>regulated repeatedly over the 70 years, the drop screws could have been
>turned up until they contacted the block. If the parts are newer, perhaps
>the hammer flange, or screw is of a larger dimension. If it hasn't been
>regulated or cleaned in 70 years, well, that's yet another issue.

Parts are all original. Jamming is between hammer flange screws and pin
block. I don't think much of anything has ever been done with this piano.
The hammers are as hard as can be. Really bad sound for such a nice sized
instrument.

>Certainly, as suggested, you should raise the glide bolts (assuming it has
>such), thus lowering the action height.  Once you have the action out, I'd
>be curious to see the string plane measurements, that is, whether the warp
>you observe in the plate is reflected in the string heights.

I will get out to the shop later this afternoon. While that job is not on
the docket for today I think I can manage that much work on it. I will let
you know about the string heights as now you've got me curious as well.

>   You'd want to take more than the usual "first and last of each section"
> samples.  Is the bottom of the pinblock equally curved?

It seems as though the pin block is equally curved as that was the first
thing I noticed on the Miller. I assumed the pin block was de-laminating in
the center. After encountering the Samick product where I could actually
remove the stretcher and see the whole picture I stretched the string
across the top of the plate on the Miller and found the warp on that piano.
Both the Samick and the Miller have bowed pin blocks that are touching
(jamming down on) hammer flange screws. I will first explore removing the
action and then these other items and report back. Thanks for your help and
additional ideas!