Impact hammers was RE: Tuning Hammers..WEIGHT

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:10:30 -0600

Hi,
Impact tuning can be achieved with any hammer.
Harder with a cigar style handle and easiest with a Mahaffee style lever.
Smooth pull tuning easiest with a cigar and hardest with an impact tool.
Used them all except for that new tube.
My hammers range 11 to 14 oz depending on the shaft and WOOD in the knob.

In thee past I thought it was almost impossible for me to tune a grand in
less than 1:30
with my style of muting ( split rubber mute ) but yesterday a record for me
of 40 minutes
for a full fine tuning no pitch raise. Hammer on all pins and adjusted pitch
on all as required.
Had to zone in on what I needed to do as people were comming in and out of
the hall where
I was working.
I think the most important thing that has helped me reach this speed is the
increased number of
pianos that I tune since my retirement from teaching and weight lifting this
last 6 months.
The lifting ( 15 lb bells at 100 reps once every other day ) has eased the
tennis elbow and added 2" to my biceps.  <G> grunt grunt
Catching up with you Michael
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com