Ok, This is weird

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:59:22 -0400

Susan,
         I can see that I should have taken a picture of this mystery. On
the Samick product I removed the check clocks and the keyslip in an effort
to slide the action out and relocate the little dowel connecting the trap
work and the damper tray. It had popped out and was jamming the dampers up
off the strings from a move across country. When I found that the action
wouldn't come out I started looking for a why. I noticed that the ends of
the pin block were higher than the middle and that the middle was dragging
down on the hammer flange screws. I next removed the music desk and it's
glide rails followed by the stretcher and stretched a line across the top
front edge of the plate and found a gap (the previously mentioned 3/8" or
10mm) between the string and the middle of the plate. While the glide bolts
may provide a way to get the action out it certainly will not solve a
warped plate. My questions was what if anything should be done about this.
Especially if the glide bolt adjustment does NOT do the trick. The Samick
customer is a district court judge and while it's way out of warranty I
hope she tries to cram it down Samick's throat. If it's possible that this
warped some time after manufacture then I apologize and stand corrected. If
not it never should have been sold in the first place.

regards,
Greg