O.T. RE: Business in Coming Days was O.T. "Do Not Call List"

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:44:03 -0700

Responding to Ernie's comments, which I certainly might echo:

Looking at matters simply from the physical viewpoint (large holes in Saudi
Arabia now full of slightly greasy salt water) (rows and rows of containers
full of nicely made Chinese consumer goods lined up in Long Beach, CA)
(tangled and bent oil and gas pipelines offshore near New
Orleans)  large-scale globalization of consumer goods manufacturing is a
short-lived idea with many drawbacks (widespread unemployment in North
America, for instance) which has not been with us long, and which will not
be with us much longer. (Its demise will be unlamented by me.)

The sooner we write off the Walmart kind of company, and put our emphasis
and what's left of our money on local endeavors and solutions (straw bale
mulch to build garden fertility, 1/4 of grassfed local beef in the freezer
to eat this winter), the better off we'll be.

Susan

"May you live in interesting times." -- Old Chinese curse