President's Message

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:13:26 -0400

    Dear Kent:
    In reference to your article in the latest PTG Journal, I have to =
take issue with your comments and please allow me to suggest a better =
system.
    1.  When a customer complains, one should listen with a sympathetic =
ear, not an  argumentative, defensive one.  A "dreaded callback" is in =
reality  information that requires serious attention, not excuses or =
blaming.  Like doctors who listen to patients who know their own body, =
we need to listen to customer's concerns about their piano.
    2.  The first step should be an immediate return to the job in =
question.  A client expects the tuning to be right and has paid you for =
that expectation,  but how complaints are handled are the real mark of a =
professional.  A suggestion of "guaranteed tuning" might be better =
replaced by a desire to achieve customer satisfaction promptly.   =20
    3.  The desire that clients use  one technician for all their =
instruments is a valid one but can only be achieved by techs performance =
and trust earned, not automatically expected after the first meeting.   =
If one expects to serve this client with "pianos all over the building," =
 it would make sense to try to please rather than pre-judge. =20

    To assume the tuning was fine (which it probably was) and that the =
fault lies with the piano or  the person complaining, might be =
premature.   To devote the conversation to boasting about ones =
reputation and methods is a turnoff and counterproductive.  Allow the =
customer to find this out by your performance over time.  He/she =
perceives a problem and our job is to respond in a kindly,helpful way =
putting other things aside until it is resolved.  This would be my =
"better system."
    Mike Kurta