suddenly, a click

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:46:03 -0700

> Just wrapping up working on a YC action that has been in my shop about 4
> weeks. After assembling it I notice a distinct click when the jacks reset=
. It
> appears some errant chemical vapor from the shop has hardened the jack st=
op
> felt causing a slight noise on the reset.
> =20
> I=B9m thinking perhaps a couple drops of water/alcohol/surfactant solution =
might
> do the trick to soften the little round piece of felt.  Anybody have any
> input?

If you=B9re describing what I think you=B9re describing, this is very common on
many Asian actions....and it=B9s not felt-hardening, but something to do with
the jack position being too far back, and the whippen itself somehow
magnifying the =B3pock=B2 sound that results when the jacks pops back under the
knuckle.

Try weakening the repetition springs and reregulating the jack position(a
little farther forward than usual) and height (so the hammer barely moves o=
a test =B3wink=B2) on one note; I believe the noise will diminish or disappear.

Hope this helps....

David Andersen