Will wonders never cease !

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:27:10 EDT

Try looking on the plate
  Dale

Hi  folks

Of all things, I ran into an origional Knabe grand today. Didnt  measure
its length but looked to be around 170-180 cm.  Has a strange  number
stamped onto the plate next to the lettering on the treble side  just
behind the bridge.  Actually two numbers.  227 was the  first number, and
S2223 was just under that. Both were stamped parallel  with the long side
of the piano, and they didnt look like they were put on  at the same
time.  Neither can be the real serial number as the piano  obviously is
not older then tops 60-70 years.

No other numbers were  visable, tho there was a thick layer of dust on
the soundboard that I  didnt get cleaned off.  Just a quick pitch raise
and tuning was all  the guy wanted.  But he did want to find out how old
his instrument  was.  Anyone with suggestions as to where I should look
other then  the soundboard and plate area ??

Cheers and  thanks
RicB