Chrome versus Nickel plated tuning pins

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:48:49 +0200

Hi Horace

I use Biene all the time here. I have tried a few other available makes
and find them lacking in comparison. And exactly for the reasons you
state.  Tho I have not done extensive measurements for consistancy, it
wouldnt suprise me to find your assertion to be true. They always seem
to go in nicely and wind up with a very consistant feel to them.  I will
second you on the lack of twisting however.  And, as I have said... I
see blued pins rust all the time. I think I have seen one or two nickel
plated sets with any real signs of corrosion in all my 30 some odd years
as a piano tech.

Colour of pins is not a consideration for me at all.  It might be if all
else was equal... but it isnt.

Cheers
RicB

>/Interesting. And what, pray, is the criteria for "finest", as is
/>/considered by many? I'd sure like to hope it's not the color.
/
It's not the color, at all.  They are extremely consistent as to
size, hardness, plating (or not, as preferred)...virtually no
detectable twisting of the pin when tuning, just a good, solid feel
of the entire pin moving along it's axis at the same time.  Well
worth the extra money, when available.  If Jurgen can get them, they
are worth using.

Best.

Horace