Hearing problems/hard hammers

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:45:30 -0500

And thanks to the rest of you for your thoughtful contributions.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Horace Greeley=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:49 PM
  Subject: Re: Hearing problems/hard hammers

  snip

  FWIW, most Seilers come with hammers that are not only too hard to =
begin with.  They also seem to be hardened at the factory (with what =
seems like lacquer) to a point that is indefensible.  So, you are =
dealing not only with whatever the other technician applied; but also =
whatever was done at the factory/dealer to begin with.  I would like to =
recommend the Wurzen hammers to start with; and do so with the caveat =
that there are some instruments/makers/models which seem to require a =
harder hammer to get much going in the way of sound.  YMMV.

  Good luck.

  Best.

  Horace