Will wonders never cease

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:45:12 +0200

Thanks David, Susan and others.

I'll get a chance in a couple weeks to take another look at this and
will dig in a bit deeper to see what I can find. Strange tho... finding
a Knabe over here in Bergen.  Actually brought quite a bit smile.  An
American and his Norwegian wife just bought the house and moved in...
the piano came with the house.  Pretty worn down, tubby base strings...
but still a bit of real piano sound left in the old girl.  I gotta
wonder how many Samicks will sound as well given the same life... but
thats another story  :)

Cheers
RicB

At 03:19 PM 9/6/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>/Knabe #s used to be stenciled on the treblemost strut on the treble side.
/>/Should be a 6 digit number for something of that age.  If not there, you can
/>/look at the blocks or keyframe for an embossment.
/
On a 1901 Knabe concert grand, the serial number was stencilled in black
paint onto the
soundboard underneath the strings, in the first capo section. Maybe a couple
of inches past the dampers.

I'd also check the bottom of the keyslip and keyblocks. Sometimes someone
marks
it on there, or it could be stamped in the factory.