Hammer sanding ,machne

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 19:40:05 -0700

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: David Ilvedson=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 6:12 PM
    Subject: Re: Hammer sanding ,machne

    Carl,

    so it goes back and forth...how do you get a particular shape?   I'm =
think of a worn hammer where I want to bring the shoulders down and not =
the top.  How is that accomplished?

    David I.

    David, just push the sander fore and aft to sand only on side of the =
hammer.  Press down to sand the top.  Rotate the sander and push side to =
side to clear waste felt.  You need to do this since if you don't the =
felt will clog the paper and stop working.  Fifty or sixty grit is good =
for speedily removig felt.  For smaller hammers I usually squeeze the =
blades with thumb and index finger to sand only the sides.  Remember =
that this tool is basically roughing it in.  As Nick Gravagne said in a =
class "We're just shoveling dirt".  Final shaping and squaring is done =
using standard paddles or your favorite procedure.

    Carl Meyer PTG assoc
    Santa Clara, Ca.
    =20

---