sticking note puzzler

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:29:34 -0500

Bridle strap not tight enough and gets hooked on the letoff screw.

=20

dp

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 8:14 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: sticking note puzzler

=20

Actually, the real puzzler here is why anyone would conceive and build
these pianos in the first place.  A Nordheimer, made in the USSR before
the wall came down in '89.   Calling this a PSO is being too kind.

=20

What surprised me in the end was that the problem was really not related
to the quality--or lack thereof--of the questionable piano in question.
It really could have happened on any piano, though this was my first
sighting of this particular problem.

=20

Symptoms:  Key plays fine, then suddenly not.  Examination reveals
excess lost motion--not between the jack and hammer butt, rather between
the capstan and the wippen heel.

=20

What it wasn't: =20

=20

tight center

action parts rubbing together (my first suspect, and what I focused on
for the first 20 minutes of my trip)

Glue dropped on action  parts

anything to do with the key itself

sharp edges on the jack

rough material on the butt

=20

As I said, it was a new one on me.  A simple, but unexpected problem.

=20

I'll post the answer tomorrow if there are no correct guesses. =20

=20

Dave Stahl