soft, bass trill regulation

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 01:28:05 -0500

To reply to below, I have never been able to play a note on a grand piano
without it going into check. Which is why the statement " For
> >fastest repetition, the hammer must travel from the
> >string to the point where the jack stops it and back
> >to the string as quickly as possible."

 /This doesn't make much sense to me.  Actually it should be the rep lever
not the jack that stops the hammer unless the catch does.  But the back
check always catches the hammer because the momentum of the hammer over
powers the rep lever so it ends engaged with the back check no matter how
soft you play unless you don't want to be heard.
	 So the question now is how can you get a better trill with a hammer
coming out of the back check.  Logically that would be at highest check. So
you pull the back check in.  But then from rest when the hammer rises on a
sharp blow, and it whisks ever so slightly against the b check and you
"loose power" you scratch your head until someone points it out to you and
if you are super lucky shows you how to correct it.  The corrections range
from pushing out the checks a little and living with a low check to
scientifically balancing a bunch of numbers including bc height and angle
both from key stick and of head, arc of hammer tail roughness of hammer
tail, dimensions of hammer tail taper and on and on plus a few more I would
be lucky to find out.  Then depending on how good you can trill (or fake it)
you know if the problem is solved or not.

---ric                   www.pnotec.com

	"The realization of ignorance is the first act of knowing."
            Jean Toomer (1894 - 1967); US author, poet.

0