Katrina

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:08:16 -0700

At 07:05 PM 9/1/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>Well Dean...........I tend to agree with you.
>It IS very sad to see what happened, and I believe most / if not all do
>feel the compassion and sorrow, BUT
>Does it really make sense to rebuild a city below sea level..............at
>the sea edge?

It wasn't below sea level when they built it -- some of it was even on
high ground. It subsided, partly because the levees trapped the silt which
had settled into the surrounding wetlands. Ironic that all those years of
flood control would worsen the eventual flooding.

I certainly HOPE that they will rebuild most of it in a better place!
What's left of the old city -- the French Quarter seems fairly dry again --
hopefully can provide the tourist experience, the fantastic food, the
great music, without a lot of people having to live there.

Susan Kline