Alan's Maxim and partial answer to: Puzzler for a rainy Sundayafternoon ...

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:32:55 -0600

Point by point  (this stuff can get confusing):

> After reading Davids S post I have to concur with what he says, and am
left wondering how any of this can bear on your origional problem.   And
have the following comment to throw out..

Yes, I think he is right. But if it is such that the jack sneaks under
there, but the hammer is sitting on the jack top and not on the rep lever,
then the rep lever might as well stay home. I guess that's what I was
thinking (assuming I was thinking at all).

> A ball park regulation will allow letoff  unless something is keeping the
jack from moving far enough. I have to assume Alans rough regulation was
good enough.  I am left with the feeling that there is something   that
hasnt been said yet.

Yes, that's the mystery I'm trying to solve: Why did a slight adjustment
make such a go, no go difference for regulating the whole action cycle.

> Let me see if I have this right. You adjusted letoff /*and confirmed*/
letoff with the action out of the piano but upon insertion the hammers jam
against the stings ?

No, no, no ... Now I see where I have confused everyone a little. In that
the jack top definitely got out from under the knuckle, it did let off.
What wasn't happening was any hammer drop. In the vertical, that hammer
changes direction at letoff, so I was thinking (well maybe) "No drop, no
letoff."

I think that the jack must have been high enough that when the lever hit
the drop screw the knuckle just sat on the jack top, or the back edge
thereof, and never fell to the rep lever. Then in the aftertouch, the lever
just swooped up and picked up the knuckle off the jack. But it seems the
jack would have to be awfully high to stay in the ball game after rotating
out and, as I say, it certainly didn't LOOK way out of spec.

Maybe Brother Skolnik gave us another clue with his Renner/Shteinvay
experience. Maybe it's a design problem or a jack that's a little too long
or some such, i.e., a manufacturing tolerance error or, as we like to say
here in the Ozarks, a Consarned Boo Boo.

Speaking of  boo-boos, happy Halloween, all.

Speaking of Halloween, I saw a vampire at the blood bank this morning; he
was opening a checking account. Must be frustrating when all your work is
in vein.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri