Alan's Maxim and partial answer to: Puzzler for a rainy Sunday afternoon ...

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:42:55 -0600

Phil has it (I think).

The jack height adjustment, or more correctly the repetition lever height adjustment, must be made before letoff, drop, etc. Because we are dealing with something in the order of 2/10ths of a millimeter that has to be adjusted by feel, it is easy to have it wrong even if it "looks" right.

I learned, in this challenging little experience, that a very, very slight change in height makes all the difference in the world. Too much of a gap creates obvious lost motion detectable by slowly pressing the key down. But too little (jack too high, lever too low) takes the rep lever out of the ball game entirely as far as repetition is concerned.

Now here's a true confession: I honestly don't know why this made such a difference, but after much frustration, I rechecked this adjustment, raised the lever (lowered the jack, relatively) and was THEN able to set a letoff and drop just as sweet as you please. Prior to that, no combination worked! Key point: The adjustment on this note looked just like it's neighbors--and they regulated just fine.

>>> I'd actually appreciate explanation or comment from you who have regulated so many more actions than I.

As Yamaha so aptly states: "One large difference between a grand action and a vertical action is that the grand has the repetition lever. However, the lever loses its value in direct proportion to how poorly is is regulated. Remove all lost motion, but make sure the jack can return under any circumstance. Then the repetition lever can live up to its name."

So here, brand new and hot off the press, is "Alan's Maxim":  If you are having trouble regulating an action, back up a few steps and make sure you have good regulation in those earlier steps.

Might save ya some tears some day!  ;-}

Alan Barnard
Still Larn'n, Thank'e, in Salem, MO