Papp's Treble Mute

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:30:32 -0400

Thanks, Joe.
I see it, I just never thought of how it worked.
I had always been satisfied with the Papp's mute, till the 'blue' ones came out.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joe And Penny Goss
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 7:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Papp's Treble Mute

  Hi John,
   Page 33   #204 Treble mute.
  I also modify the tip so that it is a little thinner both ways. A belt sanderworks great. The tip is about 1/4" wide, I trim it to 1/2 of that. And then make the taper of the two tips narrower so that they will fit into the unison better to mute either two outside strings using either the long or short side.
  There is a knack to using the mute quickly.To straddle the outside strings to tune the middle I place both legs between two unisons, put slight pressure on themute so that as you draw it slowly out the short leg pops over the unison to the other side. Slide home and tune the center.
  To help keep the mute in place tuning the center string, place the mute as high as possible on the strings. Next put both feet on the left side of the unison and tune the right string to the center. To tune the right string , straddle the next unison on the left.  Continue in a like pattern until the break.
  Here I usually tune the far right string, center to right, and left to the unison, unless I hear false strings or other noise, then it is what is needed to get a clean sound if possible.
  I do have the mutes made up but do not have them listed on the site.
  Joe Goss RPT
  Mother Goose Tools
  imatunr@srvinet.com
  www.mothergoosetools.com