Papp's Treble Mute

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:33:31 -0700

Hi John,=20
The rubber split mute works on the same idea as the Papp mute.
Seldom shakes out, but when it does, washing the dust off seems to solve =
the problem.
I do however keep the split mute and a wide bass mute tethered together =
as my aching back tends to complain a lot when I have to get down under =
the key bed and look for a dislodged mute. <O:((
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Ross=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 12:51 PM
  Subject: Papp's Treble Mute

  Am I the only one, having problems with the product supplied over the =
last few years?
  My original, white plastic one, lasted years.
  I have had 3 of the 'blue' ones.=20

  They are too soft, the hinge pins drop out, they are too flexible, and =
jump out of the strings as you tune, and they wear out too fast.=20

  The wearing out, might have something to do with older pianos, and the =
strings being contaminated ( mild surface corrosion) and being more =
abrasive. Mind you, the older one lasted longer, same pianos.
  I am thinking, of adapting my old white one, to take new tips that =
screw on.
  John M. Ross
  Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
  jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca