Scratched plastic keytops

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:06:10 -0400

Christopher Chapman wrote:

> I am a fairly new tech and just serviced a customer's piano, who
> recently had the keytops replaced. The previous "tech" did a bad job
> with filing the keytops and left scratches on the top of the key. They
> are the one-piece white plastic keytops. Does anyone have any ideas
> how to remove the scratches?

Christopher,

Hopefully, the scratches aren't too deep. These can be removed, but it
takes a little elbow grease and some tools:

You'll need different grades of sandpaper and a buffing wheel. I like to
start with 400grit and then go to 600, then 1200, sanding north/south
and make sure you are keeping a very straight line with your technique.
After you've gone through the last grade, then you buff east/west. This
method will remove most scratches, provided they're not too deep.

I'll be interested in looking for other methods of doing this. The
method I use is time consuming, and it's the only one I know that works.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)