Mileage Q's

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:49:11 -0500

The last few years that I was doing in-home tuning, I put my mileage on
a spreadsheet in my pocket pc.  My business car stayed at about 92%
business and gave a great documentation for any IRS problems.  Doing it
on a spreadsheet keeps you from having to do any math, and the pocket pc
is convenient.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of mps@usol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 11:14 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Mileage Q's

Scenario:
You are a beginning technician (~2 yrs)
You are called to do a service call on a piano that is in a church that
is
approximately 80 miles away.
Do you;
A) Charge for mileage for the one way distance (82 miles)?
B) Charge for mileage for the round trip distance (164 miles)?
C) Don't charge for mileage at all?

I realize that a church may or may not fall into the category of doing
work at a discount rate.

Also, how do you record the mileage for the ordinary tuning/repair
trips you make throughout the year? (for tax purposes)
Do you include round trip mileage or just one way?

Thank you

Mark Montbriand