No show

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:36:02 -0500

I give the "pitch raise / instability" speech on a regular basis, right
along with the "possibility of broken strings, will need tuning sooner" and
whatever info that is necessary and some that is not but just informative to
those that are interested.

On this particular tuning I did not. The piano was only 10 cents low so I
did a quick pass to level it out and then tuned it, charging her the basic
tuning fee. Here in the Midwest, her furnace is going to cause more
instability than will the 10 cent raise. Her brother apparently used his $20
needle guitar tuner to check notes up and down the scale and when they
didn't all make the needle jump to the middle, the piano was out of tune. I
am speculating on the details since I have not had a chance to see the piano
again.

It's just as told this lady. The extra charge is not for the work on the
piano, if needed, but for the second service call. I was once stood up three
times in a row! Never again. Getting too old. I may get some bad PR on this
but I will take my chances. Fortunately I have a schedule full of good
customers with whom I have a good working relationship. I don't think I'm
going to sweat this one.

Thanks to all for input on this.

Dave Bunch