acrosonic wippens, anyone?

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:00:34 -0500

When it comes to pro-nouncing a piano dead I've stuck to one rule:
	What will its market value be after it is repaired versus what it
cost to repair?  Is there enough sentimental value in it to really
make up the difference?
	If the piano was cheap when it was bought new (no-name), has an ugly
case, and needs everything done to it, I recommend dumping it.  If
the case is pretty but the ratio is still bad, I suggest converting
it into a desk or book-case, particularly if they don't want to
afford actually completing the job.  I've seen too many kids saddled
with a cheap PSO to be willing to participate in the crime!  I point
out where a poor piano that has its potential fully realized will
still be a poor imitation of a piano.  I discuss the availability of
used older pianos that have potential.  I discuss new pianos and how
they excite the students and offer a full palette for the student to
play with.  If they truly cannot afford a piano I discuss the
difference between a synthesizer/keyboard and a digital piano, touch
and tone.  I recommend shopping around (I sell pianos too) and point
out that this is an educational investment with impact in areas of
math and science.
	When they worry about wether the kid will like it and stick to it, I
point out that they are programming their child to fail.  My wife is
an accomplished professional pianist.  In her early teen years she
had to be dragged to her piano lessons crying.  Does she regret her
parents attitude that music lessons were no more optional than
school?  Not at all!  I have yet to meet an adult that regrets their
parent's insistence that they continue their musical education.  At
this point the parents are nodding with a glint in their eye.  They
usually are regretting that they hadn't stuck with their lessons.  I
do point out that not all children will end up playing the piano,
some will move to other instruments.  But music majors (in some
schools minors too) are required to have piano-competence and will
have to pay for lessons in college to gain competence.  Music is a
real profession now-a-days.  Musicians make a living, music teachers
do too and very good ones at that.
	I add that the parents can add a PianoDisc system when the kids
leave so they can continue to enjoy the piano, but a recommend
against it while the kids are learning--unfair competition.
	Be honest with your clients.  Be clear about what they can
expect.  If it was a PSO to begin with and the design doesn't
anticipate anything more don't mislead them.  People will spend
thousands on a TV entertainment system.  Point out that the TV isn't
used as an education tool (be real here).  Point out that it is an
expense, not an investment (loses fifty percent of its valu while in
the box after leaving the store).  Contrast that with a good piano
and its total impact.  The choice can be made obvious.

JMHO
Andrew