Keytop Jigs

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:36:10 -0700

Greg,

Here's a photo of the basic idea. A plywood platform with runners that
drop into the miter gauge slots. The key is steadied against a block and
is positioned by an adjustable toggle clamp. The saw blade removes the
original key front by pushing the sled forward while holding the key
against the block.

In this case, I was removing the yellowed fronts of a Yamaha grand (new
fronts are available from Yamaha; much better repair than the white
paint they recommend). To prevent chipping of the side of the key, it
would help to back that surface up with another block - possibly a
sliding piece that could accommodate the different key notching.

I got the toggle clamp from Rockler <http://www.rockler.com/>, type
20766 in the search box. It might help to have a return spring on the
handle to prevent skipping a step (!).

Let me know if you come up with something better.

Tom Cole

Greg Graham wrote:

>I'd like to know more about the table saw jig for
>removing the fronts that Tom Kole mentioned.  Sounds
>better.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_0908.jpg
Type: image/jpeg