CA*rylikey

Joel A. Jones jajones2@wisc.edu
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:19:40 -0500

Terry,

How about some CA experiments.   I have used thick CA by mixing in
powder tempera paint.   With basic colors we have matched most of
the chips on many keys.   It does call for a good eye for color and
knowing how to mix, but you can modify freely to fit the basic color.

Simply prepare the area as normal with cutting an angle around the chip.
2. Make a dam around the area with blue tape to hold in the CA mix.
3. Using thick CA mix in the tempera with a tooth pick and let harden=20
or kick it.
4. tape off the key and sand down the CA with progressive fine paper.
5. buff to match sheen of the key.

It takes a bit of practice, but not much.  I had a student who became
very good at color and sanding.   It saved the day many times.
This repair is strong and can be effective on the front overhang.
I'm  not telling where the chips were.

Joel

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available