Piano Supply Houses and other questions

Ben Bradley benbradley@frontiernet.net
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:35:20 -0400

Ken Streetman wrote:
> http://www.pianofortesupply.com/tools1.html
> http://mothergoosetools.com/index.shtml
> http://www.spurlocktools.com/id17.htm
> http://rennerusa.com/Technicians/Tools/tools.html
> http://www.balaams-ass.com/piano/catalog.htm
> http://www.pianosupply.com/
> http://www.pianophile.com/
> http://www.kspiano.com/
>

> Beware some supply houses do nothing more than drop ship everything from
> Schaff so check to see before you buy.

    Hi all, I'm just a guy with two junk pianos in the basement I'm
working on, but I need some parts. It appears from both the Schaff and
Pianotek websites that they only want to sell to distributors or
"qualified" technicians. Should I just order from one or more of the
above sites until I become a "real" piano technician?
    Right now I need TWO keyboard levelling sets with all the felt
parts, and a set of hammers and all the felt for one action (setoff
buttons, hammer butts, dampers, between key rockers and stickers,
anything else?). I'm willing to cut out all the felt pieces myself if I
can buy in bulk the right type of felt for each application.
    Is there something like a standard type and thickness (and even
color) of felt for each application, for example the felt on the back
rail of the keyframe that the keys rest on? I've got the old felt for
from one piano, but for the other, almost all the felt seems to have
disintegrated.
    I have the Reblitz book and a few others that I've read and am
looking back through, but I haven't found answers to questions such as this.