Eric Schandall on Lacquer Voicing

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:16:12 EDT

Ric
  Eric is a personal friend & fine Human being . I have made  similar
assertions on many occasion to this effect on list.  Eric  & I  have hashed over
voicing techniques  for many years on  many occasions & on all these salient
points we agree. It's nice to have  ones own opinions re-enforced by your
associates.
   That being said I've heard finely voiced Hamburgs as well  & enjoyed then
too. The only problem is usually the needling has not  gone far enough & the
under lying  core remains too stiff    & the edgy sound rears its' ugly head.
When this is tamed the sound can  be truly lush.
  Dale

The  reason given for Steinways choice in using
the lacquer approach is  because they feel they do not get the sound they
want with needled  hammers.  I.e. Eric, and Steinway NY are of the
opinion that  lacquered hammers yield a different sound then needled
hammers.  He  cited more power as one alleged asset, voicing stability as
another, and a  larger dynamic range due to the very localized affect of
needle placement  when voicing for soft shift play.  Course he didnt
really  see any advantages to the Hamburg approach.. but then he was from
NY  :)  He DID state that it was his believe that prior to WWII all
hammers all over the world needed  lacquer.

FWIW

Cheers
RicB