Remedial string leveling

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:01:18 -0500

Ric, Barbara,
I was wondering about this too.  I routinely lift the strings with
the strate-mate on both sides of the capo.  Gets rid of a lot of
noise.  But pulling really hard seems to be more about noise than
levelling.  If you are pulling hard, have you already lifted the
strings and got some higher than others?

At some point, lifting/levelling at the capo is enough and the
problem is about the condition of the termination.  Ie. getting under
there with a dremel and stone, or a file (saintly patience required)
and getting rid of cut-up material.

Is this what it is about?

I find that some agraffes on a popular make don't have holes all
nicely lined up in a row.  Real nuisance for levelling to make a
damper perform better.  In this case it is better to level and not
indiscriminately lift.

Andrew