Remedial string leveling

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:16:19 +0200

Hi Barbara

Takk for sist as they say over here !

I read your post with interest and it seemed to me your greatest concern
was not getting enough leverage to pull / push up on the strings.  If
this is the case I would like to hear a discussion about just how much
force people are using to accomplish string leveling.  I have always
used minimal force in doing this job, not wanting to over stress the
brass holes in the agraffes, nor cause any undo wear on the capo.  As
such, I use Joe Gosses version of the string leveling tool (making sure
the piano is reasonably level to begin with) and lift only what I
absolutely have to on the first pass.  I dont do broadband string
lifting in the expectation of getting rid of some string noises. Rather
I wait to hear what I have and if I need to minimize some string noise
then I may try some additional lifting for whatever unisons are affected.

btw.. I mention the bit about getting the piano in level first because I
watched a fellow use this tool not so long ago and he had gotten all
done and started mating hammers to strings and noticed that he had to
individually file almost all his hammers so the left side was higher
then the other.  When I asked him whether he'd leveled his piano first
or not he seemed to think it was not neccessary ... because the hammers
would "of course be automatically tilted with the piano"... grin.. I had
to giggle a bit despite myself.

Cheers
RicB