Pinblock Glassing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:24:22 -0400

Joe, we just went through this a day or two ago.

Use car wax or any number of other release agents to epoxy does not =
stick to plate.=20

I use West System epoxy and #404 High Density Filler (peanut butter =
consistency). This is their highest strength filler. If you don't goober =
too much on, you won't need to sand it, so using it is hassle-free. Only =
used enough to fill any gaps. If you don't goober too much on, it won't =
spread under the plate web.=20

I highly recommend using the West System Two-Step Bonding Method to =
ensure the epoxy never comes loose.

100% success rate.

The plate should be set in it's final resting position when the epoxy is =
curing - screwed to the pinblock and bolted to the rim - shouldn't need =
clamps, but it is also fine to use clamps to apply some pressure on the =
flange toward the pinblock.

Also, check the archives - no doubt there is tons there also.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  While I've never been a proponent of using fiberglass resin or epoxy =
  mate a pinblock to the plate flange I'm wondering, if because of the
  exigencies of circumstances I had to go this route, what are you all
  using...material wise, to do this? Brand names, success rate, =
viscosity,
  etc.

  And why not? (inquisitive minds would like to know.<G>)

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I