Chapter Technicals

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:10:24 -0700

I was drafted to serve as my chapter's program chair,
primarily responsible for coming up with topics for
technical training at our monthly meetings. My
quandry is coming up with topics that are of interest
to those who have been in the biz for 30 years.
Newbies are easy. Everything is interesting to them
(me, us).

Would you, my fellow listers, take just a moment to
list your favorite technical topics? Perhaps a
sentence on what turned you on the most about it/them?

Any chapter activity is fair game: technical classes,
discussions, experiments, forums, or tours, (perhaps
even social events like parties or picnics). What did
you do over the last year that you liked the most?

Thanks,

Might I suggest the Chapter Tool Kit, from the Home Office.  The Portland Chapter has a "Roll Yer Own" contest/technical every year. The criteria is: 1. You have 5 minutes to give a tip/technique with 5 minutes of questions. 2. All members are invited to participate. 3. When all have "presented", a secret ballot is taken. 4. The winner gets a sum equal to one year's Chapter dues. The second place winner gets 2/3 of the Chapter's dues. The third place winner gets 1/3 of the Chapter's dues.
It is usually very informative and fun. This was originated by Richard Wagner and has been a mainstay for many years.
Another popular "technical" is a tool auction. All techs bring tools/parts/misc., that they no longer have use for. The "aucioneer" is the heart of this and should be someone who is a bit of a ham.<G> The whole thing is great fun and many come away with all kinds of "treasures".<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I