Amazing Mathushek action "bites the dust". Details inside !

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:38:53 -0700 (PDT)

Gee, but I hate to destroy this thing. But no-one
wanted it ( not even Jack Wyatt ) and I can use the
cup-shaped capstans on one of my 1890's Knabes, to
replace those very irritating rocker capstans.
    But this is VASTLY the most amazing upright action
I have ever seen, so I do want to eulogize it!

     The whole thing slides out on a  tray, like a
grand ( keys and all ) so it can be bench-regulated.
     All the flanges have fully countersunk,
nickel-plated washers under the screws.
     The keys have tiny cups with threaded stems for
"capstans". The stickers just sit in these cups, which
are turned to raise or lower them. This eliminates all
center pins and bushings
( and associated friction ) at the stickers' lower
end!
     The hammer butts have a  bizzare bushed
appendage, which works in conjunction with a  bizarre
backcheck, and a spring, for better repetition ---
--- I believe.
    The dampers have set screws in their levers which,
when turned in, impinge upon the damper lift rail from
underneath the felt, thus simplifying damper
adjustment.
    What an amazing action! I have nver seen one more
carefully designed, or beautifully exected.
     Thump

I was given this thing by a music store which put an
electric keyboard in the ornate case. I am dismantling
it because I need space.

http://mail.yahoo.com