Dremmels on hammers was RE: mini belt sander for filing hammers

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:41:40 -0600

pianolover 88 wrote:

> <<Oh I know, if they're this bad, they should get new hammers, but
> most people don't want to spend $500 or even $250 on their old
> upright, Hamilton studio, or Wurlitzer console. >>
>
> You only charge the above rates for hanging NEW hammers???? I get $275
> for filing & reshaping alone! OF course that includes re-aligning
> hammers to strings and resetting blow & letoff, and an interior
> cleaning as well.
>
> Terry Peterson

    So that's not just filing & reshaping ALONE.  No, the filing &
reshaping only takes an hour and a half, usually.  Which should come out
to about $75 at $50 an hour, or $90 at $60/hr.  Owners of fine grands
and pro's and semi-pro's might pay higher labor rates, but not the
soccer moms and middle-income people for whom piano lessons and piano
ownership are the first things to go when budgets get tight.  But I
digressed.  Sometimes the hammers need filing either 'cause they're
badly worn or because it would improve the tone, but the rest of the
regulation is still quite good.  But you file, and now the blow distance
and let-off are too wide, so you have to do a partial regulation as
well.  Or a complete regulation.  Or the piano's dirty and needs
cleaning.  That's what brings it up to $250 or $500.  That would be more
like the filing & reshaping plus 2,3,4 hours of regulating.  And to
remove the action & keys and do a good vacuuming (might as well tighten
plate screws, hardware, trapwork while you've got things apart) would
add another hour or so.
    No, new hammers should theoretically cost more like $1000 ($200 for
the hammers plus $200 for a 100% mark up --some call it a 50% mark-up; 4
to 6 hours' labor to install, depending on if you buy pre-bored, and
whether you replace shanks or not -- I'm talking verticals, mostly --
and whether you just "throw on a cheap set 'cause it's a cheap little
console" or if you're doing a top-level job on a high-quality piano --
could end up being 8 hours' labor just to install, action not even back
in the piano yet; and after pre-filing, aligning to strings, mating to
strings, and regulating and voicing, well, maybe we're approaching $1500
now).  People start asking if they could just buy a better used piano
for that price.  And sometimes (rarely) they could.
    I find that the middle-income piano owners who would pay $275 for
just filing and a little regulating are few and far between.  They think
that should pay for a complete reconditioning.  When I say, "No, a
complete reconditioning would be more like $500, or $1000 on a very old
piano...," that's when I get the "Oh, we're not concert artists.  We
just want it to work ... besides, Katie's just beginning, anyhow."
    --David Nereson, RPT