The Nossaman Steinway (was rebuilders..)

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:37:50 -0700

I can't give you the engineering explanation, I'm sure someone can.
>From an empirical viewpoint, it does seem that the farther away (to a point)
that the hammer is from the point of finger contact, the more one is able to
feel the movement of the hammer.   One aspect of control, I believe, has to
do with how well you can perceive movement of the hammer through the key.
The issue of saturation that Del mentioned only becomes a problem when the
key is accelerated past a certain point and key flexing then inhibits
further transfer of energy to the hammer (or something like that).  It's
less of an issue at low levels of playing.

The other factor of greater control has to do with the rate of change in the
touchweight as you move toward the balance rail.  As you move toward the
balance rail the effective touchweight increases geometrically.  The longer
the key, the less change per the same linear movement.  Where there are two
keys with equal downweight but different lengths, a key that is played 3" in
from the end where the distance from tip to balance rail is 10", for
example, will yield a proportionally heavier DW than a key which is played
3" in from the tip where the distance from tip to balance rail is 15".  The
relatively more uniform touchweight depending on where the key is played
will yield more predictable touch dynamics and greater control.