Dremmels on hammers was RE: mini belt sander for filing hammers

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:37:45 -0700

I use a corded Dremel and don't have problems with divots. I had some
goofs at first but soon got the hang of it. It's not a ham-fisted job -
you have to use a very light touch, moving the tool with the direction
of rotation, like a front-wheel-drive car with a floored accelerator. If
you move against the sanding drum's rotation - it will inevitably dig
in. Start with a very light pressure, increasing gradually as you get
the feel of it. Lessen the pressure (and change from 3:00 to 9:00 angle
as appropriate) to smooth out the "ruffled feathers."

The Dremel works really well on grand hammers, getting to all areas of
felt if you're looking to reduce weight. It can be a little awkward on
uprights, but with a little creativity you can manage the underside
areas if you don't mind sanding a little bit "cross grain." After
shaping and basic surfacing, you can switch to finer grits of sanding
strips.

Tom Cole